Connect with us

Entertainment

South America Rejects Biennial World Cup – Channels Television

Published

on

1,97 304 total views, 1,23 3 views today

File photo:  The World Cup winner’s trophy is seen during the 68th FIFA Congress at the Expocentre in Moscow on June 13, 2018. Kirill KUDRYAVTSEV / AFP

 

South American football’s governing body CONMEBOL hit out at FIFA proposals to stage the World Cup every two years on Friday, saying there was “no sporting justification” for shortening the window between tournaments.

In a strongly worded statement which echoed opposition to the proposals by European football’s ruling body UEFA, CONMEBOL said holding the World Cup every two years would diminish the quality of the tournament.

“A World Cup every two years could distort the most important football competition on the planet, lowering its quality and undermining its exclusive character and its current demanding standards,” CONMEBOL said.

READ ALSO : -  Music: Kayode - Money On My Medulla (MOMM)

“(It) would represent an overload that is practically impossible to manage in the international competition calendar.

“In the current conditions, it is already complex to harmonize times, schedules, logistics, adequate preparation of equipment and commitments.

“The situation would be extremely difficult with the proposed change. It could even put the quality of other tournaments, both club and national, at risk.

“There is no sporting justification for shortening the period between World Cups.”

READ ALSO: FIFA ‘Regrets’ Chaos At Abandoned Brazil vs Argentina Match

READ ALSO : -  Nigeria’s Diversity Should Be Seen As Opportunity For Greatness

Fifa To Make Decision On Biennial World Cup ‘By End Of Year’ – Infantino

CONMEBOL said that although it had previously been open to holding the World Cup more frequently, technical analysis had show that the proposals were “highly unviable.”

“Therefore, under current conditions, it ratifies its support for the current World Cup model, with its terms and classification mechanisms, considering it consistent with the spirit that animated those who conceived and founded this competition,” the statement said.

FIFA president Gianni Infantino promised this week there would be decisions by the end of the year on the proposed World Cup overhaul, which is part of a move to cut out what he called “too many meaningless matches”.

READ ALSO : -  Akeredolu Appoints Arise Chairman Board Of Agency For The Welfare Of Persons With Disability – Concise News

However the FIFA proposals have drawn broad opposition across football, with UEFA chief Aleksander Ceferin saying the plan would “dilute” the World Cup and the World Leagues Forum saying it would “undermine” player welfare.

AFP

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖
WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS ARTICLE?
We WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU ALL.
DROP YOUR COMMENTS BELOW.
➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖
CONTACT US ON -: +2347014317995 CALL OR WHATSAPP
MAIL :- NAIJASURE1@GMAIL.COM
➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖


I'm Mr Naijasure, While I am kind of a jill-of-all-trades in the creative industry, I specialize in WordPress web design ,Good writter , Music promotion, Video promotion & Business promotion . I've been in the digital marketing & web design scene for years, Many of my peers call me a passionate perfectionist. Hmm, I think you should try working with me and see.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *